In the most recent AARP Bulletin this question was addressed. The article points out that there are about 15,600 nursing homes that participate in Medicare and Medicaid. The majority are run by for profit corporations. The bulletin states that one of the big dangers is that nursing homes are often understaffed. This can lead to injuries.
Some tips before putting a loved one in a nursing home (as described in the article)include-
- Visiting the nursing home on different days and spending several hours there
- Talk with other families to see what their experience has been like
- Check to see how much staff turnover there is
- Eat a meal there to see the quality of the food
- Be aware of how the facility smells
- Visit on off hours or on holidays
At Frank Spector Law we can help on any case of nursing home injuries, abuse or neglect. Call us toll free at 1-800-299-HURT. Or you can fill out your information on one of our contact boxes on the site. You know Frank Spector Law from TV and Radio. Free Consultations.