Contact Me for a Free Consultation 443-845-1456

Our Blog

How To Get Medical Records For A Case Where The Person Is Deceased

Posted by Frank Spector | Mar 14, 2012 | 0 Comments

This is a question that was asked by a recent website viewer and it is an important one to answer.

Some people have given a family member a power of attorney. This is used when the person is alive but it is not capable of taking care of their affairs. But a power of attorney in effect dies when the person who gave it dies. A power of attorney cannot be used to get medical records for a family member who has died.

The legal representative who can get medical records is called the Personal Representative (“P.R.).  The P.R. is the person in the will who has been selected by the deceased.  If there is no will, then a P.R. has to be selected by the family. Court papers have to be filed in order to get the legal paper (called a Letter of Administration) to be sent to the hospital or doctor to get the records.

So the Power of Attorney is not the right document to be used to get the medical records. You need to have the Letter of Administration. At our firm we do this all the time and we can help.

Call us toll free 24/7 at 1-800-299-HURT. You can fill out the contact form on this page or any page on the website.

About the Author

Frank Spector

Welcome to my profile page. Choosing a lawyer is a big decision. Here is some information so you can get to know me better. I am the third generation of lawyers in my family. I saw how lawyers can help people get justice for their injuries. So for over 30 years, I have helped those injured by m...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Contact Me Today

Frank Spector Law is committed to answering your questions about Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury - Cerebral Palsy, Birth Injury - Erb's Palsy, Birth Injury - Development Delay, Wrongful Death, Surgical Errors, Emergency Room Malpractice, Misdiagnosis, Medication Errors, and Nursing Home Neglect law issues in Maryland.

I offer a Free Consultation and I'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact me today to schedule an appointment.


By Appointment Only
1340 Smith Avenue,
Suite 300
Baltimore, MD 21209

Please call to schedule an appointment